Edible Science Series: Transparent Ravioli
It’s pretty hard to turn down a bowl or plate of warm pasta. A big favorite tends to be ravioli, with its perfect blend of pasta and added filling. Want to make the filling pack more of a punch while presenting your ravioli in a way that your customers haven’t seen before? In the third installment of the Edible Science Series, we’re going to walk you through how to make another molecular gastronomy recipe… transparent ravioli! If you’re not one for surprises, this is the recipe for you. You and your customers will always know which ingredients are being served when making transparent ravioli. This melt-in-your-mouth experience is sure to be a hit!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Rice paper or potato starch/soy film discs
- Filling of your choosing (meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, oils, etc.)
- An impulse sealer
- Make sure your hands are dry before you start. Even just a little bit of water coming in contact with the rice paper/film discs will make it dissolve.
- Using your scissors, cut the desired shape of your raviolis (triangular, square, etc.) into your rice paper/film discs.
- Seal all but one side using your impulse sealer. Your ravioli should now look like a pouch. (*Note: using an impulse sealer for small operations takes practice, don’t worry if it’s not perfect the first time around!)
- With the pouch completed, you can now carefully insert the filling into the ravioli. If you want to put liquid into your raviolis, you will need to use a syringe. Be mindful to how much liquid you want to inject; these raviolis are delicate and if you put too much, it can break.
- Once the filling is inside, seal the opened side to lock in the filling. If there is any excess film, you can get rid of it using your scissors.
- Your raviolis are ready for the dinner table! You can serve them dry, with oil or with sauce. We recommend serving them dry so that you and/or your guests can experience the burst of flavor when eaten.
Transparent Ravioli in Action:
Take a look at Barry Lewis from My Virgin Kitchen as he does his own take on transparent ravioli!
Create This Recipe with Zanduco Products
Zanduco Restaurant Equipment & Supplies has a wide variety of impulse sealers to assist you in this fun experiment. Our impulse sealers are also fantastic for food service operations that need to store product. The airtight seal is guaranteed to lock in freshness for extended periods of time! Take a look at the wrapping machines here.
Connect with us: